This course will provide you with an understanding of why “Collaborative BIM” has been adopted as a UK Government requirement and how Building Information Modelling (BIM) supports Lean principles to reduce waste in construction and asset management. This course will provide an overview of the standards that define UK BIM Implementation and the fundamental processes of a Common Data Environment (CDE).
It will also help you understand “BIM according to ISO 19650” - the new international standard (Part 1 and 2) and “UK BIM Implementation” from the perspective of clients and customers. The role of information in managing assets and projects more efficiently and the tools defined for this. In addition, you'll understand “BIM according to BS EN ISO 19650” and “UK BIM Implementation” from the perspective of designers, constructors and supply chain. Responding to the client's exchange information requirements (EIR).
Tools used in the supply chain to manage and exchange information (CDE, COBie, IFC). The course will help you to put UK BIM Implementation into the broader context of information security, roles and responsibilities. You'll reflect on the impact delivery for your organization and what next steps need to be taken.
The aim of this course is to raise awareness of, and to explain the basic principles of Building Information Modelling (BIM). The course will enable you to understand the concepts of BIM and how the UK is building its capability and approach to deliver “BIM Level 2”. It also provides an introduction to the more detailed BSI courses which focus on specific aspects of “ISO 19650” and the UK PAS 1192 series.
How will I benefit?
This course will help you:
- Understand the rationale behind UK BIM Implementation and to put this into the context of your own organization
- Understand the range of standards, tools and other documents that define and are used to implement UK BIM Implementation
- Understand how “BIM according to ISO 19650” and “UK BIM Implementation” helps asset owners manage asset information more effectively and helps project sponsors and project managers deliver better projects (commercially and technically)
- Understand how all types of suppliers (designers, constructors, specialists, asset contractors) respond to client requirements in UK BIM Implementation, and what technical tools exist to support this, including COBie and IFC
- See how “BIM according to ISO 19650” and “UK BIM Implementation” provides a framework for better information security
- Understand the roles and responsibilities associated with “BIM according to ISO 19650” and “UK BIM Implementation”
- Understand what next steps you need to take to be able to manage assets or deliver projects following the UK BIM Implementation
- The final session of the course gives you the chance to reflect on the topics covered and plan your forward actions to help put UK BIM Implementation into practice.
What will I learn?
By attending this course, you will:
- The basic principles of BIM
- Explain the terms “BIM according to ISO 19650” and “UK BIM Implementation”
- Explain the value of information through all stages of a project and asset lifecycle
- Explain why BIM is a determining factor for delivering projects on time and without waste and inefficiencies
- Explain the terminology relating to BIM
- The definition of BIM and why it is important
- Demonstrate the ability to use the standards that support “UK BIM Implementation”
- Gain a general understanding of the “Information Delivery Cycle” as outlined in ISO 19650-1
Who should attend?
Anyone adopting UK BIM Implementation into their organization, their own work practices, or helping their clients or supply chains to adopt it. Construction and asset management professionals (project managers, asset managers, designers, constructors, manufacturers, maintenance contractors, information managers).
How will I learn?
Our high-impact, accelerated learning approach increases learning by improving knowledge retention and skill application. This course is activity-based, resulting in a deeper understanding of the material and a greater impact on job performance.
What will I gain?
On completion, you'll be awarded an internationally recognized BSI Training Academy certificate.
An organization that has already decided it needs to adopt UK BIM Implementation or wishes to know more about what “BIM according to ISO 19650” and “UK BIM Implementation” would mean for them.
Soft Copy: You will receive an email prior to the course with instructions on how to access the online Student Handbook, which can be viewed, downloaded or printed.
NOTE: Copies of the standards are not included in the class fee.
BSI will make reasonable efforts to have loaner copies available for use during the class, but students are encouraged to have their own copy. Soft copies of the digital loaner standard cannot be printed or downloaded.
If your class is Live Online:
- Students need to connect to the class from any internet accessible location.
- Webcam and Microphone are REQUIRED.
- ALL course times shown are US EASTERN TIME.
If your class is In-person:
- You are encouraged to bring a laptop with you to class.
- Please bring a picture ID such as a driver's license, passport, or work badge to class for verification purposes.
*Session lengths could vary depending on amount of class discussion.
Following this course, it is recommended to send those charged with detailed UK BIM Implementation on the appropriate 1-day BIM course(s).
All Upcoming Course Dates
|Date and Time||Location||Fees||Enroll|
|Jan 15, 2024 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM ET|
Jan 16, 2024 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM ET
|Live Online - Full Day||USD $1170.00||Enroll|
|Jul 15, 2024 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM ET|
Jul 16, 2024 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM ET
|Live Online - Full Day||USD $1170.00||Enroll|
The venues for scheduled courses are tentative until receipt of a course confirmation from BSI.
Recommended Qualification Pathways
Building Information Modelling (BIM) Fundamentals Training course puts you on the pathway for the following qualifications.
BIM Asset Information Practitioner
BIM Asset Information Professional
BIM Asset Information Certified Professional
BIM Project Information Practitioner
BIM Project Information Professional
BIM Project Information Certified Professional
You may also be interested in these related courses.