Preparing for and learning from emergencies, disruption and incidents eLearning course
Whilst we aim to prevent things from going wrong, as part of our proactive risk management system, we must also have a clear plan in place for emergencies, disruption and incidents. Having an effective and well communicated emergency plan will minimise the loss of life and injury to people, as well as minimizing business disruption, damage to property, plant, equipment and the environment. This module explores the criteria that good emergency preparedness and response should be designed to meet from the viewpoint of health and safety risk management.
Even with health and safety management systems in place risk management strategies in place, incidents can and do happen. Investigating these incidents is an important means of improving safety risk management and managing overall risk within the organization. Carrying out investigations will provide the organization with a deeper understanding of the risks associated with their work activities, and where weaknesses may lie. The findings enable top management to take corrective action to prevent similar incidents from happening again and improve overall risk management.
The course is aligned to support implementation of ISO 45001 and ISO 45003, occupational health and safety management but can be used by any professional interested in emergency planning, business continuity and investigation techniques.
E-Learning - training that’s even more flexible
If you require an overview Emergency Preparedness and Response and Incident Investigation with reference to the ISO 45001 standard and are confident enough not to need tutor-led training, this online, self-paced course offers you complete flexibility.
You can study in your own time when it suits you, and you can access the course from any internet-enabled device 24/7
Who should attend?
- Anyone involved in the ISO 45001 implementation
- ISO 45001 internal and lead auditors
- Anyone involved in health and safety risk management
- Anyone involved in emergency planning or business continuity / resilience within an organization
- Health and Safety representatives and Trade Union representatives
What will I learn?
After completing this module, you will be able to:
- Describe what emergency planning involves in the context of an OH&SMS
- List the events that typically occur during an emergency
- Ask key questions that check if an effective emergency plan is in place.
- Describe the three levels of cause that lie behind most accidents and incidents
- List the insights that can be brought to light by an investigation
- Make informed decisions about when to investigate and what process to follow
- Describe how human factors contribute to accidents and incidents
How will I benefit?
This course will help you:
- Understand how to identify risks and assess them using tools and methodologies
- Utilize a selection of tools and methodologies used in risk assessment
- Correctly identify the key actions that should be taken after a risk assessment exercise has been completed.
There are no formal prerequisites. For delegates implementing or auditing ISO 45001, having a copy of the standard would be beneficial
What will I gain?
On completion, you’ll be awarded an internationally recognized BSI Training Academy certificate.
- 45K Technical Requirements Emergency Preparedness
- BSI 45K Technical Incedent Investigation