BSI's "Environmental Management Systems Internal Auditor" competency-based 3-day course teaches the principles and practices of effective environmental management systems and process audits in accordance with the ISO 14000 series of standards and ISO 19011:2018, "Guidelines on Auditing Management Systems". Experienced instructors explain the clauses of ISO 14001:2015 in detail and guide students through internal audits that are required for an environmental management system. Our qualified instructors will also help you to boost your audit capabilities with the latest developments of the new 19011 standard. Students gain necessary auditing skills through a balance of formal classroom tutorials, practical roleplaying, group workshops, and open forum discussions.
This course comprises the following two Exemplar Global TPECS Competency Units whose outcomes are certified by Exemplar Global:
- EM - Environmental Management Systems
- AU - Management Systems Auditing
Attendees successfully completing this course receive a Certificate of Attainment for each of Exemplar Global Competency Units listed above.
New to TPECS?
For more information, please see our Understanding the TPECS Course Structure page.
- Understand environmental management definitions, concepts, and guidelines
- Understand the purpose of the ISO 14000 Series
- Understand the requirements of the ISO 14001:2015 standard
- Understand the process approach
- Apply ISO 19011:2018 concepts, new terminology and guidelines
- Understand the types of risks and opportunities associated with auditing
- Conduct audit activities according to ISO 19011:2018
- Communicate effectively during the audit
- Understand auditor responsibilities
- Identify types of audits
- Follow the audit process
You will have the option to receive your course materials in the following formats:
- Hard Copies: At the start of the course, a physical copy of the Student Handbook will be provided.
- Soft Copies: Prior to the course, an email with instructions on how to access the online Student Handbook, which can be viewed, downloaded or printed, will be sent to students.
NOTE: Copies of the standards are not included in the class fee. BSI will make reasonable efforts to have loaner copies available for use during the class, but students are encouraged to bring their own copy. Soft copies of the digital loaner standard cannot be printed or downloaded.
Who Should Attend?
- Environmental Management Representatives
- Auditors from other disciplines
- Quality Directors
- Health, Safety, and Environmental Managers
- Cross functional team members of implementation projects
A prior review of the ISO 14001:2015 standard and an understanding of auditing principles is suggested for this course. Knowledge of the Annex SL is suggested.
There are written tests on each of the competency units in turn on Days 2 and 3. Detailed exam instructions will be provided. Certificates of Attainment in each competency unit will be provided for students who are deemed "Competent" for each competency unit. Certificates of attendance are provided to those who do not pass the competency test(s), and students will be given the opportunity to retake the test(s).
Online course option
This Course is also available as part of BSI’s Connected Learning Live service. A virtual instructor lead training course taught live online in a virtual classroom. Scheduled times and dates are available Connected Learning Live ISO 14001:2015 Internal Auditor (TPECS)